Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Super soldiers go from sci-fi books to US military experiment

The US military have been using an experimental robotic exoskeleton to increase the strength of their soldiers. I know that I have seen video games and movies and have read lots of sci-fi books about using robotic exoskeletons as a way to protect the people in them as well as increase strength and speed. I just never thought that people would actually create and use them. Then I found some information about an exoskeleton some students were working on to increase strength. It was just an idea they liked and then decided to create it. I thought that it was interesting and decided to look into it a bit more. What I found was that the US military is already using them. It did not take very long for it to go from an idea, to reality once we had the technology and skills to make them. I wonder what other things to be found in the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s sci-fi books that were just ideas will or already has become a possibility and then reality as technology changes our world. I would like to think that these exoskeletons will be used in rescue situations where buildings have fallen on people and fire fighters use them to bring people out, or that they will be used in construction to replace some of the big equipment needed. There are a lot of uses I can think of, but I suspect that they will be mainly used by the military eventually creating the super-soldiers every military in the world seeks.


No comments: